Thundercats is coming back!

Warner Brothers recently announced the exciting news that one of my childhood favorites, Thunder Cats, is being brought back next year. I remember this being one of the most influential cartoon to me as a kid. Funny thing is, I was blown away by how ambiguous the characters were when I saw a clip of Thunder Cats for the first time again since i was 3 or 4 on youtube. I coulda swore that they were bad ass to me back then!

As a practice run to making tutorial videos. I recorded the process of me redesigning Lion-O, the main character from the cartoon. Here's the image, I should be able to post the process video up once I get a chance to organize and edit it.

The original Lion-O (yay for speedos!):



My version:









  1. Comment by Anonymous on June 9, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

    This fellow ThunderCats fan says: "Well done!"

    Any chance of seeing a group picture?

  2. Comment by Billy Wimblett on June 10, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

    Really nice design! Looking forward to seeing the video for sure :)

  3. Comment by Jparked on June 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM  

    ahaha I have to agree, I remember watching some of my childhood cartoon shows back then, remembering they used to look so bad-ass. But when you look now, I'm sure we're all thinking, "wtf was I thinking"

    Great work as always Alex, I really enjoy your posts.

    Keep it up my friend.

  4. Comment by Jack Chang on June 21, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

    Cool man. Loved the cartoon...

  5. Comment by DSNG Artist on October 8, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

    Man, I'm glad I found your blog! I Saw info about you in ImagineFX magazine! I'm a writer/comic digital artist, and you greatly encourage me with the stuff you do! I hope one day I can post cool stuff like this in my own blog, here at Blogger!

    I don't know how to follow your current blog, so I'll just add it to my web favorites :) And I'll check out your new site as well.

    Keep up the good work Alex!

  6. Comment by Joshua James on October 16, 2010 at 11:13 PM  

    Cool Liono face!

  7. Comment by Unknown on October 21, 2010 at 10:43 PM  

    NICE!! Awesome painting!

  8. Comment by Sherman on March 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM  

    One of the classic, I used to watch this with my kids back then. Nice work, keep it up!
    Sherman Unkefer

  9. Comment by Drew on September 2, 2018 at 1:02 PM  

    Liono couldn't be represented any better. Looking forward to see the new redesign of Cheetara, and also the teams second-in-command Panthro.

    Mum-ra won't stand a chance against this team of cats.