Work Stuff + School Stuff

What a crazy term. I'm glad I pulled through in the end. here are all the works I did in the past couple of weeks. I strongly recommend James Paik's environment class for those of you who want to focus on Environments, he's great at both doing it and teaching it.

These three pieces are for a personal project I'm currently working on; creating unique alien worlds.








I did this as an experiment to do something more cartoony and animation oriented. It was a refreshing change from all the dark and moody stuff i've been doing.





These are costume designs for my version of the next Stargate movie




These are costume designs for a female version of the Long John Silver character from Treasure Island.




Fashion illustrations - I haven't done life stuff in such a long time, feels good to figure draw again.




I also got the permission to post some of these older pieces I did when i worked at Crystal Dynamics almost 2 years ago.







  1. Comment by Matthew Scheuerman on December 12, 2008 at 8:02 AM  

    Amazing work. Wish I could have been in California for that class.

    the 2nd piece, (final2), the stargate character concepts, and the crash site piece really stand out to me.

    The cast shadows and vibrant warm colors really stand out in final2. The crash site has so many awesome little details.

    The stargate characters really make me wish that MGM had made a second stargate movie. These characters are amazing. The robes on the second character made my jaw drop. So much fabric draped over other fabric.

    Amazing amazing work.

  2. Comment by Anonymous on December 12, 2008 at 9:50 AM  

    alex,
    these are super kick ass pieces man.
    the first two especially take the cake!
    it was a pleasure to have a student like you in the class. I cant wait to see what you bring next. More beers!
    take care
    -james

  3. Comment by Josh Kao on December 12, 2008 at 12:56 PM  

    siickkk

  4. Comment by Jeremy D on December 15, 2008 at 8:15 PM  

    these are all great, and the third piece has a wonderful sense of atmosphere and mystery..

  5. Comment by sebastian meyer on December 16, 2008 at 1:26 AM  

    Dude, these pieces knocked my socks
    off. Great job meng!

  6. Comment by Ben Shafer on December 16, 2008 at 3:04 PM  

    Damn Chu. You've been cranking out some sweet stuff lately. I dig the nice crisp edges on the sci-fi stuff. And of course I remember some of the other stuff from when we were both at Crystal D....always liked that one with the crashed plane.

  7. Comment by Jack Chang on December 17, 2008 at 3:52 PM  

    Awesome Alex.

  8. Comment by Simon Scales on December 17, 2008 at 8:16 PM  

    nice stuff alex!!

  9. Comment by seamas on December 23, 2008 at 9:53 AM  

    alex--dude--way nice stuff--! it's great to see some of your other work you've been doing--amazing stuff, as usual--

  10. Comment by dana li on December 24, 2008 at 12:14 PM  

    i dont know what to say...but u r amazing : )
    these are super cool!
    wishin one day i'd be as good hehe

  11. Comment by abeoh! on December 28, 2008 at 7:42 PM  

    awesome work alex! no words man.. :D

  12. Comment by Justin on January 4, 2009 at 11:18 PM  

    SHIT MAN!!

    I just saw your work on CA! didn't know you had a blog!

    I saw the Gravel thing in 202 once! Wish I would have met ya.


    this stuff is amaaaaaaaaaazing!

  13. Comment by Jparked on January 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

    thanks for the comment alex, great work really digging your environments, I briefly remember talking to you awhile back, anyways takecares


    best

    Jp

  14. Comment by Hao Wu on January 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

    hey man thx. didnt know u are on here. Hows it going? Graduated yet? that character design for dreamwork is pure sex! lol add oil brotha. and cool back ground on ur blog. teach me!!!!

  15. Comment by Zeljko Duvnjak on January 8, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

    Nice Stuff!!!

  16. Comment by Anonymous on January 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

    Man I remember seeing these also on CA...really just blew my mind. Great work and paintings.

  17. Comment by The Corinthian on January 10, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

    Long John Silver is beautiful. The Apocalyptic work is stunning. I'd love to see more enviroment work.

  18. Comment by Unknown on January 10, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

    These are beautiful!!

  19. Comment by Unknown on January 11, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

    your work is just amazing!

  20. Comment by Gabriele on January 16, 2009 at 4:02 AM  

    awesome stuff man :D

  21. Comment by JIN on January 16, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

    damn...Alex..so good!

  22. Comment by Alfonso de la Torre on January 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

    Oh my God Alex! Your environments are of the charts! I wish I could take that class. take care.

    Alfonso

  23. Comment by Parka on January 17, 2009 at 5:27 AM  

    Great concept art you have here. Love the mood and lighting. When you have more, you can publish an art book!

  24. Comment by jason hazelroth on February 22, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

    I am envious of your work. you are a crazy good painter

  25. Comment by Kitten Factory on February 23, 2009 at 1:28 PM